Friday, April 22, 2011

Alan Roger Currie's controversial interview with Jet Magazine's Sophia A. Nelson

Listen to internet radio with Alan Roger Currie on Blog Talk Radio


Alan Roger Currie's response to Sophia A. Nelson's Blog Commentary (Click Here: http://www.iaskinc.org/blog/sophiaanelson/?p=552):

"I tried to resist, but I just feel compelled to clarify some things...

1) I, as the Host, never promised to shorten the interview from 90 minutes; My show, "Upfront & Straightforward with Alan Roger Currie," records live on Thursday evenings, and starts at 10:00pm EST. My actual interviews and discussions with guests usually start at approximately 10:20pm EST. My interviews run as long as until 11:55pm EST, and at minimum, until 11:25pm if not many listeners call into the show.

On one end, I did promise Ms. Nelson that the show would not run until 11:55pm EST due to her being under the weather, but I never promised to end the interview before 11:25pm EST. At approximately 11:17pm EST, Ms. Nelson expressed an emphatic disinterest in continuing the interview, so consequently, I excused her from the interview.

2) I had no plans of discussing the idea of "jump off" / casual sex extensively with Ms. Nelson. During the opening portion of my show, I mentioned that I have an upcoming guest who I will interview on Thursday, May 12, 2011 who wrote an article about men who are "demonized" for expressing their desire for casual sex in an upfront, straightforward manner.

That is at least half of what my book, "Mode One: Let the Women Know What You're REALLY Thinking," is all about. It is a book that encourages single heterosexual men to be upfront and straightforwardly honest about their desire for short-term and/or non-monogamous sex, instead of "pretending" as though they are interested in a long-term monogamous relationship with a woman.

When Sophia heard me discuss the nature of my interview with this upcoming guest, she said during our intermission conversation that she thought (paraphrasing) that "casual sex is the wrong objective for men to have, regardless of whether you are upfront and straightforward about it or not." Since Ms. Nelson expressed such a strong disdain for the primary philosophy that my book is based on, I suggested that we discuss it during the interview. She AGREED to do so. I did not obligate her to discuss this issue nor did I "force" the discussion of this issue upon her.

3) I don't want to necessarily speak for Jason (the listener who called in), but I can say this from knowing Jason as a friend since Summer of 2009: Jason does not "hate" Black women. Jason's daughter, obviously, is African-American. Jason actually once prevented a Black woman from being raped, and held the potential rapist in check until the police arrived. If Jason "hated" Black women, why would he exhibit such protective behavior toward a Black woman, and come to her rescue?

Jason and I are similar: We love Black women, but we are NOT willing to accept, condone, or compliment EVERY aspect and facet of their behavior. There are SOME ... and I emphasize the word "some" .... Black women who feel like they should NEVER, EVER be criticized for anything they do and/or say, especially if the criticisms are being expressed out of the mouth of a Black man.

No human being walking this earth is flawless. Black men have strengths and flaws, Black women have strengths and flaws, and men and women of all races, cultures and ethnic groups have their own set of desirable attributes and undesirable attributes.

There is love, and then there is "tough love." Both Bruthas and Sistahs many times need "tough love." Not just by their parents, teachers and elders, but even by their own peers and members of the opposite gender.

There was no "hatred" displayed toward Ms. Nelson during my show. Many of the male listeners who called in simply had a number of opinions that differed from Ms. Nelson's opinions. My main difference of opinion had very little, if anything, to do with her upcoming book, "Black Woman Redefined." I have not read the book yet, so obviously I could never offer a valid opinion and/or evaluation of the contents of her soon-to-be-released hardcover.

My main contention with her and debate had to do with, again, the primary philosophy that is associated with MY book, which is the concept of men expressing their romantic and/or sexual desires, interests and intentions to women in a manner that is more highly self-assured, upfront, unapologetic and straightforwardly honest.

In addition to members of my own gender, you know who has complimented my book? WOMEN. Young and old, educated and uneducated, church-going and non-church going women. Many women in society are tired of being lied to by men, misled by men and manipulated by men. More specifically, they are tired of men "pretending" to truly care for them, and "pretending" to have a genuine interest in developing and maintaining a long-term, emotionally profound, monogamous relationship when in reality, all these men want is a few days, a few weeks or a few months of physically satisfying casual sex.

What I say to men in my book is, "If casual sex is indeed your objective, why not have the balls to let women know that from the get-go? That way, she is the one who is ultimately making the choice to indulge or not to indulge." Men understand that AND women understand that.

Manipulative "head games" have left many men and women hurt, frustrated and cynical. Both of my paperbacks are my effort to discourage single men and single women from employing head games toward one another for self-serving objectives.

And that objective, my fellow bruthas and sistahs, is representative of anything BUT "immaturity" and/or "foolishness."

I wish Ms. Nelson nothing but success with the release of her upcoming book, and the subsequent sales I'm sure she will experience and enjoy."

Alan Roger Currie
Host, "Upfront & Straightforward"
The #1 BlogTalkRadio Talk Radio Podcast Program for Active, Dating Singles
Author, "Mode One: Let the Women Know What You're REALLY Thinking"
and "Upfront and Straightforward: Let the Manipulative Game Players Know What You're REALLY Thinking"